5 Steps To Write Effective ChatGPT Prompts
1) Establish Identity And Voice
Give ChatGPT an identity and voice. These form the core of your brand messaging. You should establish them before ideating the prompt.
Things to consider:
- Brand image
- Brand vision
- Target audience
- Language proficiency – e.g., expert, informal, etc.
- Persona – e.g., professional copywriter, technical expert, salesperson, etc.
- Tone – e.g., journalistic, creative, corporate, etc.
- Online platform – e.g., Instagram, Tiktok, LinkedIn, etc.
Next, write your prompt!
Consider your brand and audience and think about what resonates with them. Remember that ChatGPT‘s default style can sound dull and robotic. It’s generated by AI technology. So, include your preferred tone in the prompt.
Do you want your prompts to be funny and playful or serious and thought-provoking? The prompts should reflect your brand’s personality and tone.
Write an instructional manual
- You are a professional technical writer.
- You have more than 20 years of experience.
- You specialize in writing user manuals.
- Use clear and simple language.
- Avoid jargon and acronyms.
Offer financial advice
- You are a professional financial advisor.
- You specialize in managing portfolios of clients aged 20-30.
- Write in a convincing and conversational style.
Write a script for a comedy skit
- You are a scriptwriter.
- You have 10 years of experience in writing scripts for television productions.
- Use informal language and phrasing that a person would use in everyday life.
- Use wordplay and puns.
You can ask ChatGPT to write in specific styles too.
- Link a website or blog and follow its writing style and tone.
- Write in the style of an author or celebrity.
- Summarize the writing style of a website.
- Use certain expressions.
- Provide relevant emojis for listicles and captions.
2) Clarify Objective
What do you want to achieve with your prompts? Be as specific as possible.
- Generate engagement
- Spark creativity
- Educate your audience
- Convince your audience
- Explain your opinion
Understand your objectives before asking ChatGPT for answers. It creates relevant and valuable prompts for your target audience.
Your objectives also determine the structure and style of your prompt. To spark creativity, you may want to use open-ended questions in your prompts:
- What would happen if … ?
- Talk about some ways you can …
- What’s a good analogy for … ?
If you want to educate or convince your audience, informative prompts are better:
- Elaborate on the importance of recycling.
- Explain the benefits of space travel for society.
3) Set Limits And Style Rules
Establishing limits is crucial to ensure consistency and clarity in your prompts. ChatGPT generates default answers without proper formatting, which can be challenging to read. So, specify your preferred format in the prompt.
To determine guidelines, consider:
- Word count and character limit
- Tone – friendly, formal, casual, etc.
- Format – use of italics, paragraphs, sentence length, etc.
- Structure – number of headings, bullet points, etc.
- Target keywords for SEO
- Personalization, e.g., names, locations, etc.
- Topics to include and exclude
How to write a personal statement?
- Generate a tweet with a hook.
- 280 character limit.
- Organize information in bullet points.
- Exclude cliche selling text.
- Include [your name].
Generate an excerpt of a fantasy novella
- Generate a Facebook post.
- 500 word count limit.
- Include a character named ‘Katfina’.
- Include a location named ‘Whalestoe’.
- End with an open-ended question.
How to improve mental resilience?
- Generate a Substack newsletter.
- Write in a conversational tone.
- 300 word count limit.
- Use headings, subheadings, and bullet points to organize information.
Answers or prompts over 500-1000 words may exceed ChatGPT‘s current computational abilities. Keep your prompts and responses as short as possible for best results. Setting clear guidelines helps you create easy prompts for ChatGPT to understand and follow.
4) Establish Context
AI assistants like ChatGPT function best with context. Without it, the generated text will be general and vague. Provide context in two ways:
Add extra information
Extra information usually includes personas, tone, target audience, and objectives.
For instance, ‘write a cold email’ is too general.
“Write a cold email targeting IT company owners. Keep the tone friendly and professional. Explain how their target audience can use automated fact-checking to speed up their work. Ask if they are interested in a free 7-day trial.”
ChatGPT will include these personalized details in the answer.
Have a conversation
ChatGPT’s conversational AI technology can replicate patterns and nuances of natural human speech. It uses natural language processing (NLP) that analyzes text and speech to generate natural responses.
Use ChatGPT‘s ability to recall past conversations. Ask related or follow-up questions to establish context:
Write a recipe for vegan birthday cakes
- What ingredients do I need to make a vegan cake?
- What are some easy birthday cake recipes?
- Write a listicle about 5 excellent urban design case studies
- Why is [insert case study name] seen as an example of excellent urban design?
- What are the most essential characteristics of good urban design?
Or, provide useful contextual information:
- Write tagline based on a mission statement
- The following text is our company’s mission statement.
- Based on the above mission statement, write a few witty taglines for Instagram.
Write a summary of a blog post
- The following text is an article from our blog.
- Based on the above blog article, write a 200-word summary.
- Also, create a social media caption for Facebook. Keep the tone friendly and lighthearted.
Currently, ChatGPT can’t crawl specific websites independently. So, when providing examples, you must paste the entire reference text for ChatGPT to read.
5) Refine The Output
Refine your prompts through further conversation or editing.
- Ask follow-up questions.
- Request for elaboration on specific points.
- Input a related prompt for extra content.
ChatGPT uses machine learning to train itself with existing data on human language. This helps it improve and provide better answers!
Ensure that your prompts are clear, concise, and engaging. Refining and editing helps create effective prompts that achieve your objectives.
Writing excellent ChatGPT AI prompts requires thought and deliberation. Follow these five steps to create prompts that resonate with your audience and achieve your objectives. Remember to establish your identity and voice, clarify your objectives, set limits, provide context, specify the structure and length, and refine your output.
Use content automation to elevate your writing and increase your content output.